Each year at the annual Fairview Group Conference we recognise and celebrate exceptional workmanship within our manufacturer network at the Fairview Awards.
This event brings together our national network of manufacturers, key suppliers and staff members. To wrap up a successful 50th year in business, it seems fitting to highlight these superb award winning projects. Out of 12 award categories, we’ve picked three winning projects to showcase here.
Winner: Volcano House - Fairview North Shore
The ‘Fabricators Choice Project of the Year’ award was introduced for the first time, and to everyone’s delight, there was a clear winner.
The owners of this immaculate Devonport home were seeking the refined look of steel joinery. However, due to their seaside location, they wouldn’t have obtained a warranty for this material so they needed an alternative solution. Fairview North Shore came on board early on to ensure their desired outcome could be achieved with bespoke aluminium windows and doors.
Located close to a volcanic cone, the design has strong references to New Zealand’s geological history. Volcanic basalt cladding wraps from the exterior through to the interior in consistent layers, only varying in surface texture. Coordinating this extensive joinery with the basalt stone cladding was challenging and technically difficult to pull off.
Everything was templated, and sample joinery was produced to ensure it all fitted together perfectly. And, the low-e high performance glass helps maintain a comfortable temperature all year round.
This award winning suburban home provides absolute privacy, with picture views of the lush surrounds and volcanic cone.
The Volcano House was also awarded the ‘Residential Project of the Year (over $100K)’ and the ‘Supreme Residential Project of the Year’.
Winner: Cashmere House - GA Aluminium
This stunning property is located on the top of a hill with all day sun in Cashmere, Christchurch. The owner had the advantage of a light and warm home but it created the need for solar protection and heat control in the warmer months.
The design brief was to create a modern house with windows and doors that not only add style and personality but also help to reduce glare and regulate temperature caused by extreme exposure to the sun.
The GA Aluminium team used Stopsol SuperSilver Grey, a type of reflective and coated glass to tackle the effects of the all-day sun. At the entrance, large custom sized doors create a grand first impression and seamlessly complement the modern style of the house.
The main feature of the house is a bi-parting stacking door that opens at 62 degrees. The door was custom made to this precise angle so that it matched the curve of the house. The end result is a stylish and comfortable home that allows the owner to make the most of its surrounding hill top views.
Winner: Edgerley Apartments - Express Aluminium
This apartment block in the heart of Newmarket, Auckland is a spacious five storey tower block of 81 apartments that were developed with colourful glass stairwells.
The shining star of the property is the four-level internal curtain wall for the courtyard that features Fairview Commercial 150mm glazing suspended off a steel structure by an engineered bracketing system.
Are you ready to speak to the award-winning experts about your windows and doors? Find you local Fairview manufacture below.
The full list of Fairview Award winners 2018:
1. Glass Relate - Best Use of Glass Project of the Year under $100K - GA Aluminium for Cashmere House
2. Glass Relate - Best Use of Glass Project of the Year over $100K - Window Works for Henderson House
3. WEERS Project of the Year - Fairview Queenstown for The Log House
4. Renovation Project of the Year - MD Aluminium for Watts & Baker
5. Showroom of the Year - Fairview Window Solutions - Point England, Auckland
6. Residential Project of the Year $0-$50K - Shearmac Aluminium for Watt Mapleham Drive
7. Residential Project of the Year $50,001-$100K - Aluminium Creations for Southall
8. Residential Project of the Year over $100K - Fairview North Shore for Volcano House
9. Commercial Project of the Year over $100K - Express Aluminium for Edgerley Apartments
10. Fabricator’s Choice Project of the Year - Fairview North Shore for Volcano House
11. Supreme Residential Project of the Year - Fairview North Shore for Volcano House
12. Supreme Commercial Project of the Year - Express Aluminium for Edgerley Apartments